Senior Policy Officer Jobs Vacancy in Department Agriculture Water Resources Canberra
Department Agriculture Water Resources Canberra urgently required following position for Senior Policy Officer. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Senior Policy Officer Jobs Vacancy in Department Agriculture Water Resources Canberra Jobs Details:
- APS Level 6 (Policy & Technical) - $79,931 - $90,965
- Canberra, A.C.T - 18 Marcus Clarke Street, Canberra City ACT 2601
- Contact Officer: Guy Summers (02) 6272 2146
The Trade and Market Access Division contributes to enhancing the international competitiveness of portfolio industries and improving market access opportunities through:
- maintaining and improving market access opportunities
- reducing distortions to international trade
- facilitating technical assistance and agricultural cooperation in support of portfolio interests
- mitigating external risks to our plant and animal health status
- assisting in the development of international standards for trade in portfolio products.
We do this through the provision of policy and technical advice, briefings, participation in market access and trade agreement negotiations, representation of Australia’s position in international fora, and through coordination of the department’s technical agriculture cooperation work program.
Within this environment, the Bilateral Engagement Branch works closely with other areas of the department, industry, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and other Australian Government agencies to advance Australia's agricultural trade and policy interests. The branch has responsibility for bilateral engagement with South and South East Asia, New Zealand, the Pacific, Indonesia and the Middle East and works with DFAT on relevant Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations and implementation.
The Southeast Asia Section develops and implements policy to support the agricultural relationship with a broad range of Southeast Asian trading partners. The team also leads for the department on the implementation of the ASEAN-Australia-NZ FTA and negotiation of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership FTA.
The role of a Senior Policy Officer will include bilateral responsibility for one or more countries in South East Asia. The Officer must work with the department’s network of Agricultural Counsellors in Australia's embassies overseas, as well as with the Canberra-based embassies of our trading partners. The Officer would work under limited supervision of an Executive Level 1 Assistant Director.
The key duties of a Senior Policy Officer will include:
- Taking the principal lead on policy development regarding one or more trading partners
- The coordination of high-level meetings and providing briefings, advice and support to Agricultural Counsellors on ministerial and senior official's visits
- Preparing for and participating in Free Trade Agreement negotiations
- Leading on tasks within the section regarding Free Trade Agreements
- Mentoring of junior team members as required.
Please note: A merit pool will be established from this recruitment process which may be used to fill future ongoing vacancies that arise within the Bilateral Engagement Branch over the next 12 months.
Knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated experience in policy development and implementation, including with respect to international engagement
- Experience in developing positions for Free Trade Agreement negotiations and in implementing existing agreements would be an advantage.
Skills and capabilities
The successful applicant will have:
- Excellent organisational, written and verbal presentation skills
- A demonstrated ability to lead on policy issues
- A demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team with a high level of initiative and personal motivation.
Desirable qualifications and/or experience would include economics, economic policy, political science, international relations, agricultural science or law.
This position requires a Negative Vetting Level 1 security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level prior to commencement with the department. To be eligible for employment with the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources, an applicant must be an Australian citizen. An applicant's suitability for employment with the department will be assessed through a pre-employment screening process. This process includes a requirement for the applicant to undergo and satisfy a National Police Check, referee checks, character clearance and where relevant a pre-employment medical assessment, specified mandatory qualification(s) validation and a probation period of 6 months. Any applicant that, in the course of their work, requires unescorted access within an aviation or maritime security zone will be required to obtain and maintain an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) or Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC).
Duty Statement Opens in new window